Centra Foundation: Supporting Our Community’s Health
THE CENTRA FOUNDATION MISSION
The mission of the Centra Foundation is to develop resources to enhance and enrich the services, programs and facilities of Centra Lynchburg General, Centra Virginia Baptist, Centra Southside Community, and Centra Bedford Memorial hospitals and other subsidiaries in order to assist the Centra system in meeting and solving community health problems.
The major funding goals of the foundation are to:
- Sponsor Centra projects, programs and activities which address community health problems and issues
- Develop resources to assist patients who cannot afford healthcare
- Assist Centra in providing the equipment and facilities necessary to assure excellent health care to its patients
- Provide stipends and scholarships for deserving students who wish to pursue nursing careers at the Centra College of Nursing.
THE WORK OF THE FOUNDATION
We feel confident that you or someone you know has been touched by the work of the Centra Foundation. That's because the foundation makes such a wide range of contributions toward meeting the overall health care needs of our region.
The foundation sponsors medical screenings, offers health education programs on a variety of topics, funds indigent patient care and helps students pursue nursing careers. It has also embarked on major capital campaigns to support the renovation and building of new facilities, such as the East Tower of Centra Lynchburg General Hospital, the Centra Alan B. Pearson Regional Cancer Center, the Rosemary & George Dawson Inn, and more.
COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATION PROGRAMS
One goal of the Centra Foundation is to offer community health education programs and health screenings to the citizens of central Virginia. These programs offer the opportunity for central Virginians to learn more about medical conditions affecting them and their families. The foundation collaborates with physicians in the community to offer informative presentations on various health issues, including breast and prostate cancer, heart attack and stroke, women and children's health, orthopaedics and mental health, to name a few.
Thousands of central Virginia citizens attend the foundation's health education programs every year.
For more information or to view a current listing of programs sponsored and co-sponsored by the Centra Foundation, please click here.
GRANTS TO THE COMMUNITY
The Centra Community Health Initiative Fund is a specific purpose fund established and funded by Centra and administered by the Centra Foundation. This fund supports community health-related projects and programs on a proactive basis.
The foundation considers funding for health projects and programs that address children's health, adult health issues, access to care, mental health needs and factors that influence health behaviors. The Centra Foundation's grants committee reviews grant proposals yearly for funding consideration. In receiving grant applications, the Centra Foundation looks favorably on initiatives that address the needs identified by our Community Health Needs Assessment. Coalition building and partnerships are encouraged. For grant guidelines and more information about grant proposal submissions, please click here.
CAPITAL CAMPAIGN SUCCESS
When a special need arises, the Centra Foundation embarks on capital campaigns to support major projects for the Centra system. In 2007, we completed a capital campaign to raise funds to help support the building of the
- Centra Alan B. Pearson Regional Cancer Center and
- a new 108-bed Patient Tower at Centra Lynchburg General Hospital.
We also completed two additional campaigns:
- the renovation of the Pediatric Center at Centra Lynchburg General Hospital (2011) and
- the construction of our new Rosemary and George Dawson Inn (2012). Our inn provides comfortable rooms for our patients and their families who need to be near Centra hospitals or our cancer center for early morning procedures, evaluations and multiple tests or therapies.